Monday, December 3, 2007

Nasty weather won't deter us!




Did you decorate your home for the holidays last week? I was out in the freezing rain trying to put up Christmas lights and gave up! Thank goodness someone else took over and I'm really ready to start all the holiday cooking, cleaning and decorating inside. Well, maybe just a little. There are so many good new books, I can't stop reading! "Peter and the Secret of Rundoon" by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson is waiting on my nightstand. As you recall, Peter Pan and the Lost Boys last tangled with the evil Lord Ombra when he began to control people through their shadows in "Peter and the Shadow Thieves." Man, I thought Lord Ombra was dead! Well, apparently he's back and I can't wait to find out how Peter foils him this time. This book would be appreciated by fifth through eighth graders.

Molly Moon is back also. "Molly Moon, Micky Minus and the Mind Machine" by Georgia Byng features our time traveling Molly Moon returning from the future with the ability to read minds. But the diabolical Princess Fang arrives with her mind machine and the fur begins to fly! Third through fifth graders, this one's for you!

Garth Nix brings us his new "One Beastly Beast (Two Aliens, Three Inventors, Four Fantastic Tales)". In "Dear Reader", Nix describes himself as a child who loved fantasy books and states, "When I grew up, I found that I didn't want to just read stories like that, I wanted to write them." Well, in four short stories, Nix crams in video pirates, a genius girl, an orphaned boy, sea serpents and lots of adventure! Third through fifth graders, take this one also!
Well, off I go to read more books! YEA!

No comments: